11.03.2007

LAX

I didn't take photos at LAX, because well, you can find photos of LAX anywhere and I didn't want to get in trouble before the flight with TSA.

The super shuttle picked us up at 8:15 on Tuesday morning. That was the fastest I've ever arrived in the LAX area since I've lived here. We were the last pick up and it only took about 30 minutes to get to the airport using back streets. I'll remember the route for the next time I need to get to LAX quickly.

We get to the terminal and check our bags in at United for the trip and head on to the security check point to wait for the plane - almost 3 hours early for the flight.

I hate airport security. They are idiots.

They make you wait for your bags to go through the X-Ray machine before you can step through the metal detector. So of course, I have my laptop in my carry on so if I feel like it, I can work on the plane. There are no signs posted about what can and can't go through the metal detector inside a bag. The X-Ray machine starts rolling backwards and they ask me if I have a laptop in my bag. The TSA screeners ask me to pull it out and stick it in it's own little tray to go through the machine. As I'm pulling the computer out of my carry on, I mutter under my breathe "you got to be f*cking kidding me..." which OF COURSE the security moron over hears and feels the need to very seriously inform me that they have found bombs in laptops before, so it's necessary. UGH! Hello - I'm soooooo NOT a bomber girlie!!! I'm traveling on BUSINESS!

And I have to take off my shoes?!?!?! are you kidding me?!?!?!

Back to the metal detector.

I wait again for them to let me through and the metal detector security moron gives me grief about the plastic bag my passport is in.

"what's this?"
"a plastic bag."
"uh, ok," she says with a very grumpy "you're a weirdo" look on her face.

It's a semi-metallic anti-static bag for storing and shipping computer parts. I have my passport in it because the US government thinks it a GREAT idea for my passport to broadcast, to any device reading it, all my personal information. Good thinking on the privacy front, NOT. The anti-static bag keeps the RFID from being read off of my passport. And no - I didn't have time to make or buy a passport holder with the RFID blocking stuff built in.

I know that last bit makes me sound like a paranoid kook - but I can't help it. It's bad enough they search you high and low - but seriously - ANYONE with the proper equipment can read my passport for goodness sake.

We grab a snack and head to the terminal.

Here's the funny part with all that security... I get to the terminal, stick my hand in my pocket and realize that the lighter my husband gave me to put in my checked bag is still in my pocket... I dump it in the trash - because I don't want to get in trouble with customs at Narita.

Sitting in the terminal we start talking to the old couple next to us. He's an electrical engineer - or at least was when he was younger and she's a hair dresser, of Persian and Russian descent. They were so funny and nice to talk to. She's really emotional and open with her life and tells us about her ex-husband and how horrible he was and how she's so happy with the man she's married to now. And some other more personal stuff I'll keep off the web.

One of my co-workers arrives an hour later, and we sit and wait some more.

The last co-worker arrives a little later, Becky from the International team, and we wait some more.

When we finally get on the plane - we all get situated and my husband and I are the only ones sitting together. The lead technical producer and his girlfriend didn't end up getting seats together and Becky has chosen Business class since she's flying without her husband.

We strap in for the long flight and the prospect of watching a movie we've already seen and a couple neither of us care about, and eating crappy coach food. We ended up sleeping through one of the movies that both the husband and I wanted to see.

I like flying, but I hate taking off and landing. No idea why, other than I've seen news footage of too many planes that crashed on landing and take off, or that it's the feeling of gravity pushing against me on the way up. My ears also don't regulate to the new air pressure very well and it's kinda painful with out special ear plugs, so maybe that's it.

I sleep, I eat, I read, pace the isles, stand up in the back of the plane for a bit, talk with the husband when he's not sleeping, get yelled at by fellow passengers for opening the window shade while they are asleep, and generally wasting time. 12 hours of time.

Next up Narita Airport arrival....

No comments: